Financial support for children in the education system
Families with one or more children may apply for the support if one or more children attend primary or secondary school, college, institution of higher education, university, professional or specialist study programme, in accordance with special regulations
What are the purposes for which the support may be used?There are seven subtypes of this support depending on the purpose for which it may be applied for.
The subtypes of this support are as follows:
- To procure school supplies (e.g. textbooks, school bag, pencil case, notebooks, pencils, etc.) in the maximum amount of 66,36 EUR (HRK 500.00) per child, which is the annual amount of this type of support
- To procure a personal computer/laptop which the child needs to attend a secondary school, college, institution of higher education, university, professional or specialist study programme, in the maximum amount of 398,17 EUR (HRK 3,000.00), which is the amount which can be received once every three years as this type of support
- To procure furniture: a desk (including shelves and drawers), office chair and bed (including the bed base and the mattress), in the maximum amount of 132,72 EUR (HRK 1,000.00) per child, which is the amount which can be received once every three years as this type of support
- To procure clothing and footwear and toiletries, in the maximum amount of 265,45 EUR (HRK 2,000.00) per child, which is the annual amount of this type of support
- To cover the costs of extracurricular activities in the primary and secondary school (e.g. to pay for memberships, courses, sports gear), in the maximum amount of 199,08 EUR (HRK 1,500.00) per child, which is the annual amount of this type of support
- To cover the costs of accommodation (in a student dorm) outside the place of permanent residence (in the Republic of Croatia) for the purpose of education
- In any other case in which, pursuant to the assessment of the Commission, it is necessary and/or beneficial to grant the financial support.
What is the financial support amount?The maximum individual amount of the financial support for children in the education system that can be granted to a family/applicant equals 1.990,84 EUR (HRK 15,000.00).
What are the requirements you need to meet to receive the support?
The support is granted based on the relevant documentation which proves that the following requirements are simultaneously met:
- One of the parents and/or the child in the family is a Croatian citizen
- One of the parents and/or the child in the family has permanent residence in the Republic of Croatia
- The average monthly income per member of the shared household generated in the previous calendar year and in the last three months which can be proved) in the current calendar year prior to filing the application for the support did not exceed 309,01 EUR (HRK 2,328.20)
- Neither the family nor the child from that family was granted or used the same or similar support; that is, the right to it from another legal and/or natural person.
- The household is a beneficiary of the guaranteed minimum benefit defined by the special regulation on the social welfare issues.
What documentation is required?For the purpose of exercising your right to the support and proving that you meet the aforementioned requirements to be granted the support, you need to submit the following documents:
- a validly filled in and signed application for the support (Documents)
- A photocopy of the current account card (both sides) of the applicant for the support (the bank name, name and surname of the current account holder and IBAN have to be visible)
- A photocopy of the ID card (both sides) of one of the parents in the family
- A photocopy of the birth certificates or ID cards (both sides) or electronic records from the e-Citizens birth register for all of the children in the family (underage and adult)
- A statement on household members signed in one’s own handwriting (Statement)
- A photocopy of a certificate of income and receipts for the previous calendar year and the last three months of the current calendar year issued by the competent Tax Administration branch for all members of the shared household over the age of 15
- A photocopy of a certificate on the child’s/children’s education issued by an education institution
- A statement on (not) being a beneficiary of the same or similar support (Statement
- The decision on the recognition of the right to the guaranteed minimum benefit, which is adopted by a social welfare centre
- A certificate, offer or pro forma invoice showing the necessary amount of the support (this document does not have to be provided for procurement of clothing and footwear, toiletries, food and other supplies necessary for the child’s growth and development).