Travelling with an identity card

Depending on the country that you are travelling to, you can cross the border with your identity card, but only if it was issued after 1 January 2003

With a valid identity card, you can travel to:
  • all European Union (EU) Member States
  • Albania
  • Andorra
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Montenegro
  • Georgia – a passport is required when travelling from airports in the territory of Estonia
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Moldova
  • Monaco
  • Norway
  • North Macedonia
  • San Marino
  • Serbia
  • Switzerland
  • Vatican City.

From 1 October 2021, Croatian citizens must have a valid passport when entering the United Kingdom, while entry with a valid Croatian identity card in the UK will only be possible for Croatian citizens with digital immigration status (pre-settled status and settled status). More information is available at the UK travel link.

Travelling to overseas countries and territories of EU Member States

France recognises the Croatian identity card as a valid travel document for entering the following French overseas countries:
  • Guadeloupe
  • French Guiana
  • Martinique
  • Mayotte
  • Réunion
  • New Caledonia
  • French Polynesia
  • Saint-Barthélemy
  • Saint-Martin (a passport is required when arriving from the Dutch part of the island or crossing over to it)
  • Saint-Pierre and Miquelon
  • Wallis and Futuna.
With an identity card, you can also travel to the Canary Islands (part of Spain), Madeira and the Azores (Portugal) and Gibraltar (overseas territory of the United Kingdom).

Your identity card must be valid on the date of your scheduled departure from those territories. 

An overview of the visa system and recommendations for travel by country / entity is available on the website of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs at the link: Travel Information.