CHIF supplementary insurance
If you have supplementary health insurance with the CHIF, you do not have to participate in the health care costs of mandatory health insuranceAll citizens above the age of 18 registered for mandatory health insurance can also conclude a contract for supplementary health insurance with the Croatian Health Insurance Fund (CHIF).
Exemption from payment of treatment, services and aid costs
If you have supplementary health insurance with the CHIF, you will not have to pay for the costs of:
- Health care services covered by mandatory health insurance, except for additional payment for medications from the supplementary medicine list
- Co-participation for examinations and medication prescriptions provided within the primary healthcare system
- Hospital treatment costs
- Specialist examinations and diagnostic services
- Orthopaedic and other medical aids
- Dental health care and prosthetics
- Physiotherapy, when you use this type of health care service based on a referral from the CHIF, in institutions that have concluded a contract with the CHIF.
Pursuant to the regulations of the European Union, international treaties, Directive 2011/24/EU, Mandatory Health Insurance Act and the CHIF’s general acts, if EU regulations of international treaties do not stipulate otherwise, you are also exempt from payment of medical treatment costs in other member states and third countries.
Persons with disabilitiesFor insured persons with disabilities with a 100 percent disability rating pursuant to special regulations, for persons who have been diagnosed with several disabilities and for persons with physical or mental disabilities or with mental illness which prevents them from independently carrying out activities appropriate to their age pursuant to the social welfare regulations, the funds for the premiums of supplementary health insurance provided by the CHIF are provided from the state budget.
Other persons entitled to a policy the cost of which is covered from the state budgetThe following persons are entitled to the cost of their policy premium being covered from the state budget:
- Insured persons with disabilities with a 100% disability rating pursuant to special regulations, persons who have been diagnosed with several disabilities and persons with physical or mental disabilities or with mental illness which prevents them from independently carrying out activities appropriate to their age pursuant to the social welfare regulations,
- Insured persons who are donors of human body parts for treatment purposes,
- Insured persons who are voluntary blood donors with over 35 donations (men) or over 25 donations (women),
- Insured persons who are full-time students of primary and secondary schools and full-time university students over the age of 18,
- Insured persons whose total income in the previous calendar year, reported per family member, does not exceed 274,15 EUR (HRK 2,065.60) (income threshold) a month or insured persons who are single if their income threshold did not exceed 342,69 EUR (HRK 2,582.00) in the previous calendar year.
Concluding an agreementSupplementary health insurance is obtained by contract conclusion between the insured person, or a company for its employees, and the CHIF. This contract is concluded pursuant to an application for contract conclusion that needs to be submitted to the CHIF. A supplementary health insurance policy can also be taken out on the CHIF’s website.
Policy effectivenessPursuant to the submitted application, you will take out a policy and receive a supplementary health insurance card which will become effective within 15 days from the contract conclusion.
For those insured persons who previously had supplementary health insurance with a different insurer which expired no later than 30 days before the conclusion of the supplementary health insurance contract with the CHIF, the policy and card become effective on the date of application submission to the CHIF.
You can find the forms for the application for a contract, policy prices and all other information on supplementary health insurance on the CHIF’s website.