Electronic Data Carrier, Types and Validity Period
Croatian identity card contains two electronic data carriers (chip) with stored biometric data and one or two certificates in addition to the visible data printed on the cardAn identity card contains two electronic data carriers.
One electronic data carrier (chip) is used for storing a facial image of the identity card holder and two fingerprints in interoperable digital formats.
The other electronic data carrier can contain one or two certificates in addition to the visible data printed on the identity card.
Types of certificates:
- identification certificate used for electronic authentication of identity and authentication when accessing electronic services
- signature certificate used as support to a qualified electronic signature and substitute for a handwritten signature in line with the Act regulating electronic signature.
- eID issued to persons below the age of 18 contains an identification certificate
- eID issued to persons between the ages of 18 and 70 contains an identification and a signature certificate
- persons who are 70 or older can obtain an identity card with or without an identification and a signature certificate, depending on their preference.
An electronic identity card with an active identification certificate can be used for accessing the e-Citizens portal and other e-services.
An electronic identity card with a signature certificate can be used when certifying documents with an electronic signature as a valid substitute for a handwritten signature.
Applicants who are 70 or older and who obtain an identity card with certificates can continue using their identity card even after their certificates expire (after five years), but they will not be able to electronically authenticate their identity nor will they be able to use it to create a qualified electronic signature. If a person who is 70 or older still wishes to use his identity card for electronic identity authentication and creation of electronic signature after the certificates expire (as an e-document), he will have to apply for a new identity card.