Infringement of rights

You can seek the protection of violated employment rights in court, but only after you have unsuccessfully sought their realization from the employer

If your employer has, by their decision or in any other way, violated or prevented you from exercising any rights arising from your employment, you should first request the employer to allow you to exercise that right.

Time limits for action

The time limit is 15 days from the day of delivery of the decision which violated the right, i.e., from becoming aware of the violation of the right. The employer has 15 days to reply to your request. If they fail to do so, you can seek protection before the competent court within the next 15 days. In doing so, you should bear in mind that, by missing these deadlines, you lose the right to seek the exercise of your rights in court.

Filing a complaint against the employer

If there are suspicions of illegal work by the employer, in accordance with the provisions of the Labour Act, whether it is as a minor, serious or most serious violation by the employer, you can contact the State Inspectorate – Labour Inspectorate, to initiate misdemeanour proceedings against the employer.

You can also file a complaint online, by filling out a simple form:
Complaint to Labour Inspectorate.

Monetary claims

You can also pursue monetary claims arising from employment in court, without the obligation to request prior exercise of your rights from the employer. However, it is important to know that the statute of limitations for monetary claims arising from the employment is five years from their due date.