Assistance services for persons with disabilities
The assistance services for persons with disabilities include services of personal assistance, Croatian sign language interpreters and sighted guidesThe assistance services for persons with disabilities are provided in cooperation with associations of persons with disabilities and associations acting to the benefit of persons with disabilities.
The service of personal assistance for persons with profound, highest degree of disability and persons with intellectual and mental disabilitiesBeneficiaries of the service of personal assistance are persons with a physical disability who require practical help with taking care of themselves, deaf-blind persons with additional impairments who require practical help with taking care of themselves, blind persons with additional impairments who require practical help with taking care of themselves, deaf persons with additional impairments who require practical help with taking care of themselves and persons with intellectual and mental disabilities.
The service of personal assistance includes:
- Personal care (hygiene—washing the teeth, face, showering, bathing, washing the hair, combing the hair, cutting nails, etc.; help with getting in and out of bed; dressing and undressing; help with going to the bathroom; assistance with consumption of food and beverages; cooking meals; administering medicine, etc.)
- Assistance with small house chores (clearing the table, putting away papers, books, magazines, handing aids, turning pages of a book, writing, room upkeep, etc.)
- Doing the shopping
- Assistance with physical movement (transfer from the bed to the wheelchair, assistance with moving, assistance with using the phone)
- Doing administrative chores—going to the doctor (to obtain a referral, fit note, prescription), bank, post office, delivery and pickup of various documents
- Assistance with and facilitation of communication
- Accompaniment and assistance in various social activities.
Service of Croatian sign language interpretersBy using this service, beneficiaries of this service, who are deaf and deaf-blind persons, exercise their right to be informed in Croatian sign language for the purpose of their equal integration in the work and life environment.
Persons are continually provided with the services of interpreters and intervenors (for the deaf-blind) in everyday situations (going to the doctor, court proceedings, proceedings before state administration bodies, public authorities, attending training sessions...) in which they require assistance to overcome barriers to communication.
Service of sighted guides to blind persons unable to get around independentlyBeneficiaries of the service of sighted guides are blind persons unable to get around independently (unable to get around independently with a white walking stick or a guide dog).
The services provided by sighted guides to blind persons unable to get around independently are:
- Accompaniment and assistance in various social activities (going to the doctor, dentist, pharmacy, shop, post office, bank, social welfare centre, cultural and entertainment venues, municipal government office, registry office, etc.) depending on the blind person's needs
- Training for house chores
- Assistance with administrative chores for blind persons who live alone and have no maintenance debtors or family members who live nearby—reading (documents, mail, referrals, fit notes, prescriptions, instructions for use, etc.) and writing if necessary