Travel safety tips

Before going abroad, check in which situations you can contact the Croatian embassy or consulate for help

If you are travelling abroad, make sure to follow tips for safer travel:
  • Check the security situation in the country you are travelling to on the website of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs.
  • Check the validity of your passport as Croatian nationals can enter some countries with a valid identity card, whereas other countries require you to have a passport valid for another three to six months after the date of entry. It is recommended to bring a photocopy of your passport or identity card. Having a photocopy will make it easier and quicker to get issued a travelling certificate in the event that your passport gets stolen.
  • Check if you need a travel visa for the country you are travelling to, and find out more about the visa issuing procedure.
  • On the website of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs check which Croatian embassy is competent for the country that you are travelling to. Write down the address and telephone numbers of the Croatian embassy or consular office, and, if necessary, you can also contact the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs (24/7) directly at the telephone number +385 (0)1 4569 964.
  • Get informed about the terms and conditions of your health insurance when staying abroad on the website of the Croatian Health Insurance Fund.
  • Vaccination – get detailed information on avian influenza, influenza virus A (H1N1), SARS, Ebola, malaria, viral meningitis and other similar diseases before your travel on the website of the Andrija Štampar Teaching Institute of Public Health.
  • Check what is the local currency of the country, whether it is possible to pay with credit cards, and what is the minimum amount of money you will need for your travel.
  • Let your family and friends know you will be travelling, and if you are travelling to a far-away country or areas with a higher security risk, you can send your itinerary to the address: and We recommend that you specify the following so that the Croatian embassy or consulate staff can contact you if necessary:
    • name and surname, mobile phone or telephone number that you can be reached at while travelling abroad
    • information on whether you are travelling with a travel agency, privately or in some other arrangement
    • place and period of stay
    • the hotel or some other type of accommodation that you will be staying in
    • any other information that you think might be useful in case you require consular assistance.
  • Follow the laws and customs of the country that you are travelling to, and be respectful of the local dress and behaviour codes if travelling to Muslim countries. Keep in mind that certain countries have legislation in force that imposes lengthy prison sentences or even the death penalty for possession of narcotics or other illegal substances.

Arrests or detentions

At your request, the consular officer can:
  • get in contact with you and notify your family
  • request details about your arrest or detention to provide you with the necessary information on legal aid
  • help you with finding a lawyer or interpreter, but not with bearing the costs incurred. 

In case of an accident or illness

In case of an accident or illness, the embassy/consulate will notify the competent institutions and your family about the details of the further procedure.

Other forms of consular assistance

The consular officer can also:
  • assist in inheritance proceedings
  • certify translations, certificates and signatures in administrative proceedings
  • register marriages, births, deaths and act as an intermediary in delivering extracts from the registers of births, marriages and deaths
  • provide emergency evacuation or repatriation in case of life- or health-threatening situations.  

What issues will the Croatian embassy or consulate not be able to help you with?

The embassy/consulate cannot:
  • pay your return travel costs to Croatia
  • pay fines, hotel bills, hospital expenses, lawyers’ fees and similar expenses
  • help with obtaining a visa for entry into a foreign country, send invitation letters or other certificates necessary for obtaining a visa
  • obtain work permits or residence permits
  • post bail in case of arrest, or request release from detention
  • get involved in court proceedings, or represent you before the court
  • prevent deportation to Croatia after a served sentence
  • provide consular assistance if, in addition to Croatian, you also hold the nationality of the country that you are located in and in which you require such assistance.
Following Croatia’s accession to the European Union, Croatian nationals can seek consular assistance in any embassy or consulate of an EU member state if there is no Croatian embassy or consulate in the country that they are staying in.